For chain drive, even though the chain and sprocket are designed to meet the service conditions and environment, if the lubrication is poor, it is impossible to give full play to the design performance and ensure the service life.
The chain is well lubricated or poorly lubricated in use, and the wear amount can vary by 200-300 times. If the lubrication is not sufficient, the shaft and sleeve will be worn, which will cause misalignment between the chain and the sprocket, increased noise, and elongation of the chain link. It even caused chain breaking accident. Poor lubrication between the roller and the sleeve will cause serious early wear of these parts and make them unable to continue to use. Therefore, it is a crucial measure to develop the chain performance to formulate a reasonable scheme for selecting the viscosity of lubricating oil, the location and method of oil supply, the oil supply interval and the amount of oil, and to fully lubricate the friction surfaces of the chain. The following effects can be achieved:;
1. Reduce wear of friction;
2. Reduce power consumption;
3. Prevent gluing caused by adhesive wear;
4. Eliminate overheating caused by friction;
5. Ensure stable transmission and prolong service life.
Selection of lubricating materials
In order to reduce friction and wear between friction, all antifriction materials that reduce friction resistance can be used as lubricating materials. There are many kinds of them, including lubricating oil, grease, solid lubricant, etc. When selecting the lubricant used for chain transmission, the matching among lubrication type, ambient temperature and chain specification must be considered. Generally, high-quality mineral oils with stable chemical properties are used, and those with pure components, no oxidation and no impurities are the best. As for various used oils or greases, they may contain tiny particles and corrosive components, which may cause chain failures such as dead joints, so they can never be used as chain drive lubricants.
The chain must be soaked with antirust lubricating oil before leaving the factory. In order to prevent oil dripping loss during transportation and storage, thickening agent is often added to the lubricating oil, which is generally prepared by each manufacturer.
Lubrication position and oil supply method
The chain drive lubrication mode can be divided into three types according to different operating conditions: A manual oil feeding or oil dripping lubrication mode; B. Lubrication mode of oil pool; C. Forced oil feeding lubrication mode of oil pump. For C type forced lubrication and B type oil leakage lubrication, it is no problem that all parts can be fully lubricated. For Type A manual oil feeding or oil dropping lubrication, it is necessary to ensure that the lubricating oil is filled with friction parts between metals, mainly including:
1. Between the shaft and the sleeve, excessive wear and elongation can be prevented.
2. The friction between the sleeve and the roller can be reduced, and the oil film between them can also slow down the impact, so as to prevent the roller and the sleeve from breaking and reduce the noise. When the lubricating oil fills the gap, especially the loose edge of the chain, it can make the oil fill the gap of each friction pair, effectively prevent the direct contact between metals, and extend the service life of the chain. In addition, the lubricating oil has the function of rust prevention, which is also very good for protecting the chain.
1. The chain must be well oiled and lubricated before leaving the factory and during use to prevent and reduce friction.
2. Lubrication is a necessary means to give full play to the service performance of the chain. The service life of a chain with good lubrication and a chain with poor lubrication can be hundreds of times different.
3. The proper lubricating position and method can save lubricating oil and get twice the result with half the effort.